Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day Seven



Title: add in here some phrase about solitude

Different direction with this one. The line comes from the poem At Last, Ursula Buendia Weeps for Her Husband. I won't post the poem again because I've posted it twice already (see Day Four - Part Two and Day Three). The magic poem bowl seems to keep spitting out lines from this poem. Who am I to complain?

What I was trying to get at with this line, though, is the fact that Marquez, in 100 Years of Solitude, never actually mentions the word solitude. Or loneliness. Or alone. Or any other word you might associate with solitude. He never spells any of those things out in the book.
The characters just become those things with their lives. It's quite a masterful move, from a writing standpoint. One of my favorites.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

best.

Cycle Ninja said...

He said, "I thank you, Mom, for fixing
My crowded, broken mind.
Excuse me if I seem a little rude...
But while I was missing my childhood,
My brother, and my pride,
You enjoyed the convenience of my solitude."