Friday, June 20, 2008

So what is this art series anyway?

Welcome to my new blog-a-roo, folks!

I've been a little out of touch lately (sorry about that) with all the traveling and the moving and the new album and the finishing my thesis stuff.

I've started a special project this summer that I think worth sharing. To finish off my time at Chatham, I'm doing an independent study focusing on the integration of my poetry and my art. This project has been a long, long time coming. I've been monkeying around for years with putting words on pottery, canvases, walls, and of course paper. The experimentation has been loads of fun, but it was time to get serious and actually do something with my ideas. So, I hunted down the perfect art professor to work with (the fabulous Ingrid Lilligren), some studio space, and took the summer off from working.

The idea is to create a painting a day.

And here's how it works:
I took a whole bunch of my poems, cut them up, folded them into tiny scraps and threw them into a bowl. Each day, I sit down and randomly pull out a scrap. The line that comes out of the bowl is the foundation of the painting. No throw backs. No starting over.

I'll be posting the paintings daily, along with the poem the line comes from. You're all welcome to comment on any of it - the poetry, the art, whatever strikes you. You can comment on this site (but I think you have to register as a user?), or directly to me by email (jenmcclung@yahoo.com). Let the conversations begin!

Big love,
~Jen

No comments: